by Rick & Jen Bostain (Rib Bones)
This savory soup will fill you up.
- Category: Soup
- 1 pkg ham chunks or 1 meaty ham bone
- 3 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 large potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 5 c water
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans
- 1/2 pkg Vigo Spanish flavoring
- 4 strands of saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pkg chorizos
- Direct on top of grid 250 degrees.
- Saute first seven ingredients in a large dutch oven.
- Simmer until vegetables are tender; about fifteen minutes. Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until beans and potatoes are tender, adding water as necessary. For thicker soup, mash some of the beans.
- Add thinly sliced chorizos and heat through.
- Serve with buttered Cuban bread.